שָׁאַל, shaw-al’ or _ shaw-ale’;
a prim. root; to inquire, by impl. to request; by externs. to demand; – ask (counsel, on), beg, borrow, to charge, consult, demand, desire, *earnestly, inquire, greet, obtain leave, lend, pray, request, require, salute, wish.
- 18:5 Then they said to him, “Inquire of God that we may know whether the mission we are undertaking will succeed.”
- 20:27 And the Israelites inquired of the LORD (for the ark of the covenant of God was there in those days,
- 1:17 Then Eli answered, “Go in peace; the God of Israel grant the petition you have made to him.”
- 1:20 In due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, “I have asked him of the LORD.”
- 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD has granted me the petition that I made to him.
- 10:22 So they inquired again of the LORD, “Did the man come here?”and the LORD said, “See, he has hidden himself among the baggage.”
- 12:17 Is it not the wheat harvest today? I will call upon the LORD, that he may send thunder and rain; and you shall know and see that the wickedness that you have done in the sight of the LORD is great in demanding a king for yourselves.”
- 12:19 All the people said to Samuel, “Pray to the LORD your God for your servants, so that we may not die; for we have added to all our sins the evil of demanding a king for ourselves.”
- 14:37 So Saul inquired of God, “Shall I go down after the Philistines? Will you give them into the hand of Israel?” But he did not answer him that day.
- 22:10 he inquired of the LORD for him, gave him provisions, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine.”
- 22:13 Saul said to him, “Why have you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse, by giving him bread and a sword, and by inquiring of God for him, so that he has risen against me, to lie in wait, as he is doing today?”
- 22:15 Is today the first time that I have inquired of God for him? By no means! Do not let the king impute anything to his servant or to any member of my father’s house; for your servant has known nothing of all this,much or little.”
- 23:2 David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?” The LORD said to David, “Go and attack the Philistines and save Keilah.”
- 23:4 Then David inquired of the LORD again. The LORD answered him,”Yes, go down to Keilah; for I will give the Philistines into your hand.”
- 28:6 When Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him,not by dreams, or by Urim, or by prophets.
- 30:8 David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I pursue this band? Shall I overtake them?” He answered him, “Pursue; for you shall surely overtake and shall surely rescue.”
- 2:1 After this David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?” The LORD said to him, “Go up.” David said, “To which shall I go up?” He said, “To Hebron.”
- 5:19 David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” The LORD said to David, “Go up;for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.”
- 5:23 When David inquired of the LORD, he said, “You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come upon them opposite the balsam trees.
- 8:22 For I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and cavalry to protect us against the enemy on our way, since we had told the king that the hand of our God is gracious to all who seek him, but his power and his wrath are against all who forsake him.
- 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you.
- 10:1 Ask rain from the LORD in the season of the spring rain,from the LORD who makes the storm clouds, who gives showers of rain to you, the vegetation in the field to everyone.